|Mary Walder||2nd Cousin 4 Times Removed||Back to Page Map|
|Charles Clifford||Home Page|
|Charles was a shoemaker at Plumpton Green,
Sussex. In the late 1850's he purchased an establishment that was to
become the Fountain Inn.
In the 1861 census he is both innkeeper and shoemaker.
He died in September 1862 and left the property to James Norman a local farmer and Philip William Walder, wheelwright of Arlington.
Philip William Walder was Mary's youngest brother. More Details
|The Fountain Inn, Plumpton Green|
|Click on picture to enlarge|
|Mary||bap. 20 Aug 1814 East Chiltington||m. 1 Nov 1834 East Chiltington||d. 1860 -Mar Qtr Lewes 2b 97|
|Charles Clifford||b. 1811 Brighton||d. Sep 1862|
|James 1777||Thomas 1740||James 1708||Thomas 1671||John 1634||John 1596||William 1555||Thomas 15?|
|Mary Anne||b. 1837 Plumpton|
|Charles||b. 1839||Early Death||? d. 1842 -Dec Qtr Lewes 7 391|
|Henry||b. 1845 Plumpton -Jun Qtr Lewes 7 391||1871 Slaugham -Lodger -Boot Maker||d. 1877 -MI Newick Zion Chapel|
|Maria||b. 1847 Plumpton -Mar Qtr Lewes 7 444|
|James||b. 1850 Plumpton||1871 Woolwich Kent -Lodger -Wheelwright||d. 1877 -MI Newick Zion Chapel|
|Naomi||b. 1855 Plumpton -Mar Qtr Lewes 2b 137||Early Death||d. 1869 MI Newick Zion Chapel|
|No baptisms in Plumpton P.R.s|
|1841 Census -Plumpton||184165|
|Plumpton Green||Charles Clifford||30||Shoe M||Same County|
|Mary Clifford||25||Same County|
|Mary Anne Clifford||4||Same County|
|Charles Clifford||2||Same County|
|Harriet Teague||12||F.S||Same County|
|1851 Census -Plumpton||185171|
|Plumpton Green||Charles Clifford||Head||M||40||Bootmaker Emp 2||Brighton Sussex|
|Mary Clifford||Wife||M||36||Chiltington Sussex|
|Mary Anne Clifford||Dau||14||Plumpton Sussex|
|Henry Clifford||Son||5||Plumpton Sussex|
|Maria Clifford||Dau||4||Plumpton Sussex|
|James Clifford||Son||4m||Plumpton Sussex|
|1861 Census -Plumpton||1861126|
|Fountain Inn||Charles Clifford||Head||Wid||50||Shoemaker and Innkeeper employing 2 men and a boy||Brighton Sussex|
|Mary Anne Clifford||Dau||U||23||Housekeeper||Plumpton Sussex|
|Henry Clifford||Son||15||Shoemaker||Plumpton Sussex|
|James Clifford||Son||8||Scholar||Plumpton Sussex|
|Naomi Clifford||Dau||5||Plumpton Sussex|
|MI -Newick Zion Chapel
|Naomi Clifford died 1869, James Clifford died 1877, also Henry Clifford died 1877.|
|The Fountain Inn -Plumpton Green|
|July/Aug 1858 Land Tax assessment - Charles Clifford owner occupier
of "Part Late Kings" the Fountain site.
1858 Melvilles Directory - Charles Clifford Beer Retailer
2 Aug 1859 Manor Court Roll - "messuage or tenement with Bakehouse, garden and appurtenances 8 rods 8 feet 3 inches north to south, 5 rods 10 feet 3 inches east to west" owned by William Gravett and bought from him for £300 by Charles Clifford.
Charles died in 1862 and left the property to James Norman, farmer of Riddens Farm and Philip William Walder, wheelwright of Arlington. In March 1863 they sold it to George Norman, brewer of Cooksbridge.
Source - Scarpfoot Parish Plumpton 1830-1880 - Edited by Brian Short.